Here’s a tasty recipe that I tried out a few days ago. No extra spices needed, as the natural flavours from the Sweet Potato and Apple combat each other for a rich, sweet taste. The chayote isn’t to strong to the taste, but I added it for extra nutrients such as dietary fiber, antioxidants, iron, potassium and more.
Versatility in this recipe remains in the fact that you can blend or hand mash the ingredients. Make the final product as thick and chunky as your little one prefers.
2 red apples
1 large Japanese sweet potato
1. Preheat oven at 400F/204C
2. Wash chayote and sweet potato
3. Wrap them both separately in foil (or a foil alternative)
4. Place on a tray and bake for 30 minutes, or until you can pierce through both with a knife.
5. Remove from oven and set aside
6. Fill small pot 1/4 of the way with water
7. Bring water to boil
8. Wash, peel and slice apple into 1/4 inch thick slices
9. Steam until soft
10. Drain water, and add apple slices to blender
11. Cut your chayote in half and remove the seed. Add to blender.
12. Gently peel skin from sweet potato
13. Add to blender
14. Lightly blend or hand mash and serve
●I froze the remaining portions in my KiddoFeedo freezer tray.
●Any type of sweet potato that you enjoy will work well. Japanese sweet potato was used for this recipe. It is purple or red on the outside, and a light yellow on the inside.
●Peeling the apple and chayote are optional.